Thursday, August 19, 2010

Marathon Training: the plan

I am just beginning my training for the 2010 New York City Marathon, to be run on November 7.  This is my third time doing this race and it might be my last for awhile so I want to make it good.

I have the dubious luck of being able to focus solely on my running now because I hurt my arm in a bike accident (see previous posts) and am unable to bike or swim.  So this gives me 12 weeks of continuous, uninterrupted run training to prepare for the marathon.  I have no interim races planned (though I may add a few shorter running races in just to mix it up) so this should be a very dedicated training block.

Until recently I didn't really have a goal for the marathon.  I have already qualified for Boston (from NYC Marathon last year) and there is no major time threshold that I am near.  I consider myself a competitive runner, but I am nowhere near elite and so going for a top place isn't remotely realistic, even within my age group (I was 196th in F25-29 last year).  But to train without a goal is hard for me, so here it is:  run a 7:45 pace (3:23 finish time), negative split (run the 2nd half faster than the first), and feel GOOD doing it.  I also have a not-so-secret wish to take the Team Sports Bistro crown at the marathon distance.  6 of us are competing for it this fall!

So let it be known that I am in full-on marathon training mode.  I will check in here weekly, if only to keep me honest.  I'll also be experimenting with some different sports nutrition so I'll review that as well.  I'm starting fresh (I had 2 weeks exercise-free in recovery from my accident) and am still building mileage and speed, but I know it will come quickly enough.  I want to run 18, 19, 20 milers, get up to 50 miles per week, and complete a few trials of Yasso 800s.  Let's see how I do!

Plan for this week:  21 miles, including a long run of 8 (hey, I said I'm still building up!)

1 comment: