Friday, March 5, 2010

The Uncertain Season

I must admit, I'm feeling a bit anxious about this upcoming season.  For better or for worse, triathlon races can fill up very quickly and thus I always feel the need to set my schedule a year in advance, especially if I want to do any high-profile races.  But this year, I only have the NYC Half Marathon, the Boston Marathon, and the NYC Marathon on my schedule.  Not one race from May-October, and not one cycling or triathlon event.  Sheesh.

Needless to say I've been focusing on my running for the upcoming events, but I am itching to get back on the bike (once the weather finally turns).  I haven't swum since the Timberman 70.3 Half-Ironman triathlon and with no triathlons on the horizon it's hard to force myself into the pool.  I need something to light a fire in this belly!

One of the reasons my season is so up in the air is that I am back in school and my finances, time-off, and even location for the summer were unknown for so long.  I just decided that I will be spending the summer in Seattle so that at least allows me to start making some decisions.  Do I stick around an extra weekend and try for Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens?  Travel with the rest of Team Sports Bistro to attempt the Rev 3 Half-Distance race at Cedar Point (Sandusky, OH) in mid-Sept (once school starts again, ouch)?  Or do I just do some local Sprint and Olympic distance triathlons in and around Seattle?  It's very hard to train when there are no races or goals on mind, so now I need to come up with a schedule.  I'm watching my teammates formulate their season, training and racing plans, and set some goals and engage in friendly smacktalk.  I want that!

If there are any suggestions for good races in the Pacific Northwest, I'm open to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment