Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ever wanted to try nuun?

As I am finally crawling out of my mid-winter base base training, my runs are getting longer and faster.  Great!  I'm also starting to venture out of my bedroom (where my trainer is permanently set-up) and onto the roads for some real riding (of course, 7 inches of snow today will push me back insides).  I really try to follow nutrition periodization and do not take much sports nutrition during the winter, forcing my body to use fat.  However, as my workouts get longer and more intense, this just isn't feasible anymore.  I've started to throw down a Gu before runs (okay- must admit- I LOVE the new Jet Blackberry flavor) and take recovery drinks after my workouts. 

However, I'm realizing the water I've been using during my rides is no longer sufficient, yet I'm not quite ready to switch to my full-on sports drink (Heed or Accelerade).  The happy medium seems to be nuun.  As Mike says on the Sports Bistro review, nuun is a great choice if f you're looking to cut sugar but still take a sports drink with electrolytes during your workouts.  Nuun also has a good amount of sodium (360mg) and potassium (100mg) per serving.

If you haven't tried it, I'd highly recommend it.  A tube is pretty cheap, and very portable.  Plus, if you place an order from Sports Bistro now, they'll throw in 3 free tablets for you to try (while supplies last).  What do you have to lose?

2 comments:

  1. Had a bottle of Kona Cola and bottle of Lemon Lime today on my ride. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this product. For my base training I am currently doing 2 hr+ moderate pace workouts on nuun alone. Very confident that I'm now burning more fat at higher intensities.

    ReplyDelete